Determine best DNS for your computer connection using Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Namebench
It hunts down the fastest DNS servers available for your computer to use. namebench runs a fair and thorough benchmark using your web browser history, tcpdump output, or standardized datasets in order to provide an individualized recommendation.
How to use Namebench to determine fastest DNS server for your Internet connection in Ubuntu?
- Download namebench-1.1.tgz
- Extract to any folder (eg. /home or ~/Desktop folder)
- Open Terminal
- Browse using Terminal or cd to extracted folder. Example code:
- Run this command:
- Wait till the end of test process [ image: test done : Terminal]
- As stated at the end of the test, Namebench generates .cvs & .html files in your /tmp folder. Here is the example of generated .html Nameserver test result looks:
- Use this command if you decide to install permanently
sudo python setup.py installIn my case, Namebench claims Google Public DNS-2 is 118% faster than Open DNS -2. So it's time for me to switch.
How to change / set DNS server IP in Ubuntu
- Go to System>Preference>Network Connections
- Select your active connection
- Click Edit button
- Select IPv4 Settings
- Select Automatic (DHCP) adresses only in Method drop button
- Enter IP address inside DNS Servers box with recommended DNS [ use comma "," for multiple value ].